Indy Energy Assistance Program (EAP) assists individuals and families with the high costs of home energy. Income-eligible families are provided a one-time benefit paid to the utility company to offset the high cost of winter utility bills. The energy assistance benefit amount is based on household size, household income, type of dwelling, housing status, at-risk factors and fuel source.
Last Day to Apply is May 13th, 2022
Income eligibility for energy assistance benefits is limited to households with a combined three months of income noted in the chart below. Household income is the gross earned income (and other unearned income) received by all household members age 18 and above.
You will need to have documents to verify your eligibility.
All household members age 18 or older must submit proof of Income:
- Household members that received Social Security, SSI, SSDI, Pension or Retirement income may submit an award letter OR a copy of a bank statement clearly showing the deposit amount.
- Household members that were employed during the last 3 months may submit the most recent pay stubs for each employer. W2’s are no longer acceptable forms of income verification.
- Household members who received Unemployment income or are reporting no income during the last 3 months must submit a signed DWD Release Form and a zero income affidavit.
- 18-year-old high school students may submit an enrollment letter or current schedule of classes instead of proof of income.
- Name, date of birth and Social Security card for all household members
- Drivers license or photo identification for each household member age 18 or older
- Copy of current heating bill and electric bill in the name of a household member
Utilities Included in Rent
- Renters with utilities included in the rent must provide EITHER a copy of the current lease agreement OR a landlord affidavit completed and signed by the renter’s landlord showing which utilities are included in rent and amount paid in rent.